Friday, March 4, 2011

My First Shabby Makeover

Ok, so I actually did this a few months ago and I shared the pictures with my friends on Facebook, but never blogged about it. So for those of you who've already seen this, I apologize for the repetition.

So in my "hunting and gathering" phase of getting ready for Halie's Shabby Chic room makeover, I searched and searched Craigslist and thrift stores for the perfect bed. But it was so hard! Everytime I thought I'd found the perfect one either it was already sold, the seller never responded to my inquiry, or it was too expensive. Then I came across this one that a friend was selling. I almost passed it up without a second glance, but, after reading many inspiring blogs on furniture makeovers, I did give it a 2nd look. And I pictured it white, shabbied up, and with a little extra detailing to make it more feminine. Underneath that dark wood ugliness, it really did have great lines. Perfecto! At last I'd found a bed for her.







I sanded it down a bit, bought a $4 scrolly thing (that's the technical name) and epoxied it on. This was when we still lived on the ranch in Florida, so our nosy horse, Toothpick, had to check it all out, sniff it, bite it, and knock it over while I was trying to prime it.




Here it is all painted, but not distressed yet.





And here it is after some distressing with sandpaper. I had read about glazing furniture to give it an aged look and to bring out all the details, but I decided I didn't necessarily want it to have a "discolored" aged look. I wanted it to be white and just have a shabby/chippy look. But, I still wanted to emphasize the details in the scrolly thing a bit more. So I used a very fine paint brush with some black paint and filled in the lines here and there to make it stand out more.










Again, here's the "before."




And here's the "after," (in our new house), with the bedding added.


Gonna link up to:
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
HOG

14 comments:

  1. Well your first shabby makeover looks stunning. I’m having a giveaway...be sure to come by and check it out…it ends March 6.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful. I Love the shabby look. The horses were a big help, I see. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautiful and looks so sweet and cozy. The {scrolly thing} was a nice addition! Great job:).

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful. I'm always afraid to distress, but once I do, I love it! Mr. Right thinks I'm nuts with it! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so pretty, you did a fantastic job,love the horses too! I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job, Steph! I love the little bit of the linens I can see :) Looking forward to seeing the whole room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job, it came together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You did such a great job! The bed & bedding are darling!!!
    -emily
    www.nestnestingested.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful transformation!! It looks so much better white. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely and inviting look! great job.
    xo,
    Sena

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did such an amazing job on that headboard. I host a blog party that is going on right now. I would love for you to stop by and join in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I stumbled onto your 'other' blog from a comment one of our mutual friends made on Facebook. I told our friend (Wendy) that you look like my kinda gal. :) Then she told me you have more projects on another blog (and gave me this name). So, I came over to take a look. This bed redo is awesome! You definitely have an eye for this kind of stuff! Can't wait to see more of your projects! Come visit me on my blog (that I just started). ~Rachel @ oldewindmillfarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I love to hear your feedback!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...